I want to start by saying a huge thank you from the bottom of my heart for all of the comments, emails, and support I have received since the last post. Like I have said before about other posts, I am not afraid to lay it all out there. I think honesty is the best policy. Plus, I know that the biggest motivation for me is when I can find someone I relate to. So by no means will I ever sugar coat things or gloss over my thoughts. Deal?
Now for the recipes. Last night I took a dinner to a mother from the mom’s group I participate in since she just had a baby. And her husband is in Afghanistan serving our country. She deserved some comfort food I would say. So I opted to make my own twist on a basic pasta bake and then do some fancier green beans. I have to say I give myself a pat on the back for this one. I never get creative in the kitchen. And yes, this is still a super simple recipe, but I did something on my own without a recipe. Maybe the food blogs I read are rubbing off on me. 😉
INGREDIENTS for CHICKEN SAUSAGE VEGGIE PASTA BAKE
- 1 package whole wheat pasta
- 1 package Spinach & Mozzarella Chicken Sausages
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium onion
- 1 small green bell pepper
- olive oil
- 8oz shredded mozzarella
- 1 can natural tomato sauce
STEP BY STEP
- Cook and drain pasta.
- Chop zucchini, onion, and bell pepper into even chunks (1/2″ – 1″ in size).
- Saute the zucchini, onion, and bell pepper in 1-2T olive oil until they begin to soften.
- Chop the chicken sausage into bite sized pieces. I used fully cooked Trader Joe’s chicken sausage, so no pre-cooking was needed. If you use raw chicken or turkey sausage, you will need to cook it first.
- Mix the sauteed veggie mixture with the pasta, chopped chicken sausage, and jar of tomato sauce in a 9×13 baking dish.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the top of the dish.
- Bake at 375 for 20 minutes, until cheese melts and is bubbly.
Note: I totally meant to use roasted red peppers in this recipe, but forgot we were out. I also think this recipe could have used MORE veggies. When I get around to making this for myself there will be plenty more.
INGREDIENTS for BALSAMIC GLAZED GREEN BEANS
- 12 oz or so of fresh green beans
- 1/4c or so of sliced almonds
- 1c balsamic vinegar
STEP BY STEP
- Pour balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan and let it simmer on medium heat for about 10-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Keep your eye on it! When it starts to get thick and syrupy remove from heat.
- Steam green beans to desired doneness.
- Toss green beans, sliced almonds, and glaze all together until evenly coated. DONE!
Note: I did nab a green bean. It was great! 😉