Today was a pleasurable day. I went to the gym for a spin class and felt much better today than yesterday during my workout. I kept up with my heart rate to be sure I was maintaining a reasonable level of intensity and paid close attention to my body. It went swimmingly. Other parts of today were catching up on emails, getting more tutoring lessons prepared, and receiving great news! My hormone levels increased dramatically over the four days between blood work. They went from 631 mIU/mL to 3,898 mIU/mL. They say it increased better than expected and they will see me at my next appointment on June 3rd for our first ultrasound and a general workup. Totally praising God right now for that.
In between all of that I spent time with my #1 girl and I couldn’t stop noticing the raw energy and enjoyment she has for life, like most kids. Their faces light up with delight at the simplest things and it is so inspiring. Jesus even said that “unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 18:3-4). In my mind that shows that in order to know true life we should embrace the mind of a child. If we view the world through the eyes of a child we are able to see the beauty, believe in the good, and be excited about what our lives hold. Children are humble and don’t expect much. Their pleasures are in the basics and I have certainly taken a lesson from that. Today I paid attention so Makenzie could show me the world through her eyes. From noting the things she squeals with excitement over, I really think I learned something.
1. Flahflah & Tees (Flowers & Trees) – Every time we go outside she points at the trees and shouts about the flowers. How amazing would it be to consistently be in awe of God’s beauty found in nature? Why shouldn’t I be just as excited to walk out and witness blue skies, wind blowing calmly through the leaves, and those gorgeous flowers planted by our driveway? They are God’s masterpiece painted for my joy every day.
2. Te-deeee (Teddy) – I honestly believe her special teddy bear gets more love than I do. But Makenzie is still onto something. How great to have the companionship of a special friend. The friendships in my life deserve the same pure excitement Makenzie has for her teddy. Teddy gets love every day and I benefit in sharing that same mutual love with the friends I have.
3. Sweensweensweensweeeeeen (SwingSwingSwingSwiiiing!) – Life is too short to miss out on fun and doing the things you enjoy. You know from previous posts that Makenzie could spend hours straight on a swing. There is no reason for us to avoid taking the time to ‘swing’ in our own ways.
4. Eat (also included are nana, milk, cheese, bokli) – Hmmm…that girl knows her food words well. I think she has her priorities straight. 😉 It is wonderful to watch her take pleasure in eating, including wholesome foods. She isn’t scared of food and doesn’t have any preconceived notions about it either. Somewhere along the way we pick those negative notions up. Wouldn’t it be nice to have the same joyful approach to food no matter what? Look at how happy M is chomping away on whole wheat pasta, sauce, and diced veggies.
5. Book – The girl loves to learn. She will sit with books for long periods of time and just take in all the pictures and try to say all the words she sees in the pictures. Even things beyond her full understanding, such as numbers and letters, she wants to envelope herself in. She will search out numbers and letters so she can point to them and say “eight” or “O” (the one number and letter she knows). She constantly turns to me and asks “Mom-me?” so I can quench her thirsty mind. Her passion for discovery is inspiring. I hope I can keep that drive to learn and find growth in myself as well.
6. Je-ssss (Jesus) – This one makes me so proud. Her face breaks into a huge smile every time Jesus, praying, or God are mentioned. The joy in our Creator and what Christ did for us can’t be kept inside. Does it pour out of me like with her? Do I burst into a smile upon mention of His name? I certainly hope so. The baby girl has it down and it is my responsibility to keep that love burning, so she can grow into the amazing woman she was created to be.
What do you think? Do you think kids have it figured out?
What do the things you get excited about show the world? Do you have the same joy living in you as a child?
It is hard to have the same joy living as the innocence of a child but we should all try to be amazed at the small things, count all your blessings each and every day and do not dwell on the negative.
kids totally have it figured out…at least when they’re M’s age 🙂 everything is new and exciting, they have constant encouragement and love, and every day is a new day to discover something. the thing is we should always be like that!
Kids definitely have it all figured out. They just get tainted as they get older. Most children are lucky to live in a positive world, full of happiness, love and laughter. It makes them trusting and happy! I can’t wait to see my son as he learns and discovers himself and the world!
i love this post, tina!
lil miss m sounds like she has so much figured out and is so smart at such a young age. it’s so exciting to learn new things everyday (which she is doing).. i guess we all have to keep that in mind and remember to be happy and positive towards everything in life daily.
YES!! Kids most definitely have it figured out!! This post was so heartfelt. What a precious little baby girl you have. I love that picture of you swinging her!! So sweet!! 🙂
Yay!!!!!!!!!!! So happy about your good news!!!
Oh kids totally have it figured out and I so wish I could find that pure joy.
I think I have found happiness by getting past all the BS (pardon my french) and once again learned to appreciate life for what it is; kind of like a child.
Also I got a new blog so you should check it out 🙂
awww what a sweet sweet post 🙂
YEA for the good news!
YEA for the good news!!
I love the innocence of a child! They are so happy and enjoy everything in life. Why do we become so jaded as we get older?!
Glad to hear you are doing well!! Your little is so adorable : )
I loved reading this post!!! And congrats on your good news! 🙂
I went to spin class for the first time today and loved it! Best workout ever 🙂
Great news at the doctor!
Love the part about the Teddy bear- so cute.
Kids are the BEST! You are right, we can learn SO much thru them- like how to appreciate life more 🙂
This was so adorable! Kids totally have it figured out. Sometimes I envy them!
First off, I am so glad that your hormone levels went up so fast! Second, I loved this post. We can definitely take lessons from children. They completely throw themselves into life because they do not know of any kind of hurt besides just physical pain. It is like they take a leap of faith in everything they do without fearing what could be on the other side because their mind’s are not developed enough yet for them to analyze that. This was such a sweet post. I absolutely love that picture of you pushing her on the swing.
I’m so happy about all the positive results with your bloodwork!!
Sometimes kids do amaze me. They are so “real” because they dont know how to be fake yet. They definitely have it figured out! 🙂
having skylar has made me a child again…it ‘s beautiful to relive childhood as an adult!
i am so in love with this post!
the GREAT AWESOME news, the insanely beautiful child, the thoughts, the words, the photos (I really love that B&W shot of her swinging with you behind her. It’s incredible.)
This post made me well up with happiness!
Such good news! I have a great feeling everything is going to be fine with this growing baby. Soon you will have two children to watch as they discover the world. Kids do have it all figured out. I think there should be a swingset at every office building so that people can go out during their lunch break and swing! You can’t be stressed out or overly serious when you are swinging on a swing!
Love this post – so beautiful. Oh to be a kid again – they definitely have it all figured out. 🙂
I loved this post! It really brought back a lot of memories of my childhood and I love the idea of that massage bed!! 🙂 I hope you have a great day girl!
Pingback: FAITH, FITNESS, FUN » Blog Archive » Play by play
this post is GREAT! you should print it in case the internet ever decides to go away. seriously. it was awesome, tina!